Published: 02/01/2023 By Peter Grout-SmithPeter Grout-Smith reflects on the many enjoyable fund-raising events held throughout 2022, and, announcing our chosen charities for 2023, looks ahead to the year's events.
Symonds & Sampson’s chosen charities for 2022 were the Devon, Dorset, Somerset and Wiltshire branches of Mind, and local charity Future Roots. As a firm, we elected to support these charities recognising that the vital work they carry out to improve mental health and deliver support within our community is more important than ever during these challenging times.
Amongst the events organised within the firm during the year were:
- A glorious summer garden party organised by the Beaminster office, where guests were treated to a wonderful spread and short presentations from representatives from Future Roots and Dorset Mind.
- Our commercial department organised a fun if slightly wet golf day at Yeovil golf course. The weather did not dampen the competitive spirit of the 18 teams taking part.
- A charity clay pigeon shoot hosted by the Spitfire Shoot near Stockbridge attracted teams from local businesses competing for prizes awarded to the best shooter, best team and most improved.
- At the Dorset County show we were pleased to host the popular Future Roots tractor rally.
- In the autumn, a Mexican & Magician evening at the Fox Inn, Ansty was a great success, guests enjoyed a delicious Mexican-themed supper with entertainment by the mesmerising magician James Brown, who even demonstrated his extraordinary hypnosis skills!
- Our offices have earnt a reputation for laying on a wonderful spread at their charity events, baked by our brilliant staff. Cake sales in our Wimborne & Ilminster offices were well attended, whilst the mince pies and mulled wine served by our Sherborne office during the town’s shopping day has become a popular event on the calendar.
Our chosen charities for 2023
Looking forward, we are delighted to announce our support of two fantastic charities in 2023.
The Royal Agricultural Benevolent Institution (RABI), an award-winning national charity providing local support to the farming community across England and Wales. Established in 1860, they have been offering guidance, financial support and practical care to farming people of all ages for generations.
YFW (Yeovil Free Wheel) Blood Bikes, a group of emergency volunteer bikers operating out of Yeovil, Wincanton, and Dorchester Hospitals and carrying blood, platelets, blood and tissue samples, medication, breast milk, documents, CT scans, and equipment to hospitals, hospices, and nursing homes as well as private addresses across much of Somerset and all of Dorset, saving the NHS well over £200,000 each year while easing patients’ suffering and helping to save lives.
Our 2023 fundraising starts later this month, with the ever-popular Symonds & Sampson coffee event in Poundbury. Always drawing a crowd of loyal supporters, the event will this year be an extra special celebration as the firm mark the 10th anniversary of opening its flagship sales office in Queen Mother Square.
All are invited to the office on Thursday, 26 January between 10 am and 2 pm, the many bakers within the firm will ensure there is a fabulous spread, with fizz, coffee, tea and a raffle raising funds for our chosen charities and generously supported by local businesses.
Please keep an eye on our website and social media for upcoming charity fundraising events during the year.