Across Symonds & Sampson's 15 offices covering four counties, our agents have seen not only a spike in the number of people looking for houses but also a change in the questions from buyers before they view.
Above - Woodlands, Beaminster, new to the market this week. An extended 4 bedroom house with home office, 2 bedroom cottage and pretty gardens, for sale through our Beaminster office with a Guide of £699,999.
Jon Summers, Partner and Head of Agency at Symonds & Sampson says “We have registered over 2,000 new applicants in the last 6 weeks which is 40% up on the same period in 2019 and, considering we have such a large database of buyers already, there has been a real surge of people who are entirely new to us.
“The traditional questions about the quality of the local schools, the distance to the coast and proximity of shops and pubs are all considered but the most popular questions are now:
• What’s the broadband speed? With more people working from home and often many people in the household using computers at the same time the reliability of the internet is crucial.
• Is there room for a home office? This has been a ‘must’ for some months now and whether it is a spare bedroom, landing or garden room it is one of the first ‘no compromise’ matters.
• How close are the neighbours? Not everyone wants complete solitude but many people want some ‘elbow room’.
• Is there an annexe? People are nervous of further lockdowns and may have had a relative staying with them in their house for many months. They now need some space!
• Can I get an income from the property? This is perhaps people who are retiring early or may have lost their job during the pandemic but could also be someone who has always yearned for a holiday let business.
Wilmington Farm, near Honiton. A spacious Grade II Listed house with annexe, holiday cottage and 1.2 acres, for sale through our Axminster office with a Guide of £625,000
• What are the walks like? If we do enter another lockdown and are urged to ‘stay local’ the countryside or coastal walks are vital. Luckily our region, Dorset, Somerset, Devon and Wiltshire provide some of the best walks in the country.
• I want to put my own mark on a property. Many building plots and properties for modernisation are sold through our auction team, and demand is strong. I think many people want to be creative but also leave something behind that they can always be proud of.
It is very good to welcome new people to our region and applications to register through our website are at an all-time high. Now all we need are more properties to offer! If you would like a market appraisal of your property, please contact your local Symonds & Sampson office or Jon Summers on 01305 251154