We’re All Going On A Summer Holiday
The Great British Staycation trend looks as though it is here to stay and investors turn their attention to holiday lets. With a heatwave set to hit what better time to look at holidaying in the UK.
A holiday cottage can be a great investment, especially if you are lucky enough to have the time to manage it yourself. With weekly charges in peak season often being more than a whole month’s standard tenancy rent it is easy to see why these make popular investments. There are also a number of tax benefits (but speak to your accountant about that!)
However, it is no longer enough to offer a clean house with comfortable furniture and an information file on the sideboard. Guests now expect a five-star package, with superfast broadband, a flat screen smart TV kitted out with Netflix and Sky, funky furniture and stylish décor. So should you decide to go down the holiday home route what should you bear in mind?
Before & After Example @ Poppy Cottage, Corfe Castle
What To Buy
- Period property is popular. Nothing conjures up images of the countryside in city dwellers minds than a cosy chocolate box thatched cottage.
- Ultra-modern sleek homes with open plan living areas, vast amounts of glass and smart features can also give that sense of a luxury break.
- Anything from a two bedroom seaside flat to a sprawling 7 bedroom country manor; but do your maths! Speak to a local holiday lettings agency and work out what sort of return you could be making to work out if the ‘juice is worth the squeeze’ on a larger property.
- Avoid ‘unattractive’ or plain houses. A holiday home should be something out of the ordinary and ideally in a picturesque location unlike an everyday family home it doesn’t need to be the most practical and sometimes the quirkier the better.
- Easy parking is a must. No one wants to drive 8 hours to find out they need to park miles away and wheel their wobbly suitcases down a cobbled street at midnight.
Poppy Cottage, Corfe Castle - full details on Air BnB here.
Where To Buy
- We are lucky to live in such a beautiful part of the world and really Wessex is your oyster! Of course coastal properties are extremely popular as are cute country and village hideaways.
- Avoid big towns. Most guests will be looking to escape the rat race!
How To Decorate
- Simple stylish décor is easy to achieve – pure brilliant white walls are perfect, cost effective and easy to upkeep whilst being bang on trend.
- Neutrals and grey furniture are very in. Ikea offers fashionable furniture at purse-friendly prices. Online stores which offer flash sales like Wayfair are also worth checking out.
- Make your rooms pop with colourful accessories and soft furnishing. This way you can update your property’s look simply and cheaply when soft pinks and bright yellows go out the window!
- A wood burner with stacks of logs is always a welcome feature.
Poppy Cottage, Corfe Caste - full details on Air BnB here.
However, be aware that not ALL properties can be used as a holiday let so check carefully with your agents and solicitor before purchasing. Although we can advise you on what we think will make a great holiday let, we cannot advise you on rental values to speak to a specialised holiday letting agent.